Good or Bad?
Wise or Unwise?
Safe or Dangerous?
Depends on who you ask and how you go about deciding if you want to have a one night stand. At the end of the school year a lot of students start to feel the pressure of finals and graduation looming over them. This can make students want to to go out and find ways to forget about all that stress. Also, with it being the end of the year a lot of students think, “What the heck? Maybe I’ll hook up with someone tonight. I’m leaving anyway in a few days for summer break”. If you are thinking this way, guess what? You aren’t the only one, but whatever you are thinking about doing at the end of this semester, be smart!!
1. Make an informed choice. If you want to have one night stand, its better to decide that beforehand when you are good and sober. An impulsive drunk moment may cause more feelings of regret. Plus, that guy or girl looks yummy with beer goggles on, but you may wake up and want to kick yourself.
2. Pack Protection! Don’t go out without taking a few condoms with you. Never depend on someone else to protect your sexual health. You aren’t immune to getting an STD just because you’re only having sex with this person one time!!
3. Give your friends the 411. Let your friends know you are leaving the bar or the party with someone. That way someone knows where you are and who you’re with. Your friends also won’t have to look for you an hour after you’ve left and think your MIA.
4. Money! Make sure you save some cash for a cab. It’s likely that alcohol will be involved. You want to be safe while going to wherever you decide to go that night. Also, if you do go to their place you want to have the freedom to leave when you want whether that’s at 3am or noon the next day.
5. No regrets! Whatever you end up deciding about having a one night stand, don’t beat yourself up. It is okay to decide that it isn’t for you, but we all live and learn. Don’t obsess about making a mistake or feel ashamed because you did something outside your comfort zone. Not everything works for everybody!
One thing I try to stress to everyone I talk to is to be okay with yourself and your decisions. No one thinks or feels the same way. What is easy for one person, may be really hard for someone else. Don’t compare yourself to others and don’t judge yourself or others too harshly. Life is complicated enough without always second guessing everything you do. If you realize now that casual sex isn’t for you, then take that knowledge into the future and make different choices. If you found that having a one night stand made you feel really free and it opened your mind to new possibilities, then don’t apologize to others for doing what makes you happy.
College is a time to explore who you are and what you want. We all grow at a different pace so don’t push yourself to do things until your ready. Also, you don’t have to have a one night stand to already know it isn’t for you. You don’t necessarily have to try everything once to know what works and what doesn’t. However, you may be shocked by how much you change during the years you are at school. You may change your mind about a lot of things as you gain knowledge from all your experiences in college. Just be aware that toward the end of the year is when many students tend to be more risky. As long as you aren’t too risky! Never drink and drive and never have unprotected sex. Also, never leave alone with anyone without letting someone else know where you are going! Be smart and you won’t put your life or health in danger while you are off exploring new adventures!