There is a reason that a dog is a man’s best friend. Puppies and even older dogs love people like no other. I think it’s a good idea to analyze why puppies can be so therapeutic. Maybe we can learn about love from analyzing how a puppy loves its owner.
1. Perseverance- a puppy doesn’t give up trying to win your love. Even if you are trying to ignore it, a puppy will keep putting his nose in your hand to get your attention. You can try to push him away, but he will continue to try to get you play with him. Loving another human being takes perseverance. You need to really work at love to make it last. A lot of people give up when a relationship becomes hard. You aren’t always going to get along and your relationship may go through rough patches. However, if you keep coming back to work things out, you find that most rough patches end. Don’t give up too quickly and run to someone new because you think it will be easier. Unless you have constant conflict, most of the time it is worth it to stay and work things out.
2. Unconditional Love- a puppy loves you no matter what. He doesn’t care whether your hair is messed up or you’ve gained a couple of pounds. They love you for you. They don’t judge you on how you look. However, if you treat a dog badly, over time, they will withdraw from you. It is possible to destroy their trust, although, they do still love you and want your love in return. Dogs will also forgive you if you start treating them well again. Loving humans should be more like this. Love someone for who they are and try not to criticize or change them. Although, be aware that it isn’t fair to take advantage of someone’s unconditional love. If you are hurting someone or doing things to break trust, you can cause your boyfriend or girlfriend’s to pull away from you. They do deserve better. It would be wise for them to leave the relationship if they are being abused. If a dog doesn’t deserve to be treated badly, your boyfriend or girlfriend certainly doesn’t. Don’t think you can can do whatever you want to someone and expect them stay even if they do still love you.
3. Loyalty- a puppy is loyal to its owner. It learns quickly who feeds and takes care of it. A dog may learn to be nice and love other people they get to know well, but they will attack people who are out to harm their owners. Loyalty is a huge virtue to find in someone because it builds trust and love in a relationship. It is good to defend your partner when others are putting them down or attacking them in some way. Stand up for the person you love and support them emotionally at all times. A dog also isn’t going to leave its owner and go sleep on a neighbor’s porch. Learn from dogs and know that cheating is never a good thing in a healthy relationship.
4. Affection- a puppy can be very affectionate. It usually isn’t shy about showing it’s love to its owner. Puppies will try to climb on you and lick your face constantly. There is never any doubt they love you. Not every human is so demonstrative with their affection. You don’t have constantly be touching your partner to show them love, but every once in a while it is good to show signs of affection. A 20 second hug will release feel good endorphins. Sometimes holding hands or cuddling on the couch can be just what a person needs to feel how much you love them. Also, dogs don’t show affection as a way to get sex. Affection is not a tool to be used to get what you want out of the situation. If you are only touching your partner as a prelude to sex, then try to find times to touch them just to show them you care, not because you’re trying to get something from them.
5. Fun- a puppy is fun to be with. It will remind you to let go of your worries and just relax for a bit. A puppy can be stressful at times to take care of, but most of the time they make you laugh at the funny things they do. They are entertaining. Human relationships can be stressful at times to maintain. However, it is important to bring an element of fun to your relationship. It isn’t your job to get your partner to relax, but you can set a good example by making time to do something fun together. Finding the time to have fun will defuse the stress built up over school, work and never having any money. The reason a lot of people cheat is because their relationship isn’t fun any more and they find someone else who makes them laugh. Find ways to make your partner laugh and your relationship will be healthier.
Relationships with puppies, dogs or any pets are not perfect. However, animals do have a special way of showing love. I think all of us could learn a little more from them to improve our own relationships.
First of all, those puppies are ADORABLE. Second of all, I love this post! Very true and very relevant. I loved how you related puppy love to the way we treat our relationships (especially because my dogs are the loves of my life!). Thanks for a great read 🙂
Thanks Valerie! I appreciate your comment and feedback. I have cats now, but have had dogs in the past. Both have taught me a lot about acceptance and love. Thanks again for reading!
Pingback: How To Find Love « AfterAmerica's Blog